Monday, November 12, 2012

Zucchini Bites

Think pizza bites but greener :-D  These little tots are yummy - husband approved - and super easy to make.  I threw them together to have with our pizza tonight.  The best part is you can add or remove what you want from the recipe.  The only "grain" they contain is bread crumbs, so they aren't as "doughy" as the pizza bites.  Experiment and make them into what you want!

Zucchini Bites

  • 1 c Zucchini, shredded and drained
  • 1/4 c Cheese, shredded (I used a mix of Parmesan and Cheddar)
  • 1/4 c Bread Crumbs
  • 1/4 c Onion, diced
  • 1 egg
  • Seasonings of your choice - I used some Italian and Garlic (my go to spices)
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.  (I was cooking a pizza at 450 and threw these in with it - worked fine.)  Prepare a mini muffin tin by coating it with non-stick spray.
  2. Mix all the ingredients together and spoon into your mini muffin tin
  3. Cook until golden brown and the edges are crispy (about 10 - 15 minutes).  
  4. ENJOY
See, super easy!  My suggestions are simple 1. Be sure to squeeze the excess water from your zucchini!! You will have soggy bites if you don't.  2. If you like that crispy crust - once they reach a golden brown color pop the broiler on for a minute or two.  3.  Be sure to let them sit for a few minutes before you pop them in your mouth, burnt tongues are no fun :-D.

The recipe above makes 12 bites at 27 calories per bite - not bad for a nice snack.  They are super filling.  So I would say you could eat the whole batch for a mere 324 calories, but I don't think you would make it through the whole batch!

Try them out and let me know your variations!

1 comment:

  1. no problemo - I have to say they were especially good with little bits of avocado on them!

    ReplyDelete