Friday, November 9, 2012

Easy Homemade Noodles

I LOVE pasta.  I would say it comes in second to bread in my food loves.  I could easily eat it every day, but that wouldn't be all that good for my journey.  I have recently decided that if I have to limit my intake of favorite foods then I am DEFINITELY going to go all out and get the best tasting for the caloric intake.

Now I have made pasta before to mixed results. I am an impatient person - like you couldn't tell that - and due to my impatience waiting for pasta to dry before I can eat it doesn't always work out for me.  I enjoy recipes I can create and then enjoy!  This recipe is not only easy but gives you the option of cooking/eating right away or drying for later consumption.  Plus it is SUPER easy, even if you don't have a pasta cutter or roller.

Easy Homemade Noodles

  • 2 1/4 c Flour
  • 1/2 t Salt
  • 1/3 c Water
  • 2 Egg Yolks
  • 1 Egg, whole
  • 1 t Oil
  • Extra flour for dusting
  1. In a large bowl combine the flour and salt.  Create a well in the center of the mixture.
  2. In a small bowl beat together the water, oil, egg yolks and egg.  Pour the mixture into the well and mix together until a dough is formed.
  3. Now comes the elbow grease - knead the dough for a good 8-10 minutes until it is nice and elastic.  Cover the dough and set aside for 10 minutes.
  4. After the 10 minutes, divide the dough into 4 pieces.  **If you don't want to make the full amount of noodles at this time you can wrap the dough in parchment and seal in an air tight container and freeze the dough.  I decided to freeze three of the sections for another time.**
  5. Roll your pieces out on a lightly floured surface until it is about a 9 x 12 rectangle.  Lightly dust both sides of the dough and set aside for 20 minutes.
  6. After the 20 minutes is up, loosely roll the dough lengthwise and cut the spiraled dough crosswise into 1/4 inch strips.  Unroll the strips and cut each length into 2-3 inch sections.
  7. At this time you can either cook the noodles immediately or dry them for storing.  
    1. If you are going to cook your noodles, place a pot of water to boil on the stove.  Once the water has reached a boil, slowly add the noodles a few at a time - to ensure the water continues to boil.  Stir occasionally.  Homemade noodles only take 2-3 minutes to cook in boiling water.  Be sure not to over cook or they may become mush.
    2. If you are going to dry for storage place your noodles on a wire cooling rack and set aside. If you are planning on using the noodles in the next three days they can be stored in the fridge - dry them on the rack for about 2 hours and place in an air tight container in the refrigerator.  If you aren't planning on using the noodles in the next three days you should store them in the freezer - dry on the rack for about an hour and then transfer to an air tight container for the freezer.  
  8. ENJOY!
Now for the nutrition facts.  One quarter of the dough - like I used - creates about 7-8 ounces of cooked noodles.  Seeing I was eating the noodles for lunch, I settled on a small bowl of 4oz to go with my meal - if I was eating it for dinner I would probably have eaten the entire 6-8 ounces.  That being said I decided to divide the recipe into 4 servings.  So 1/4 of the dough is roughly 300 calories.  For my lunch today I cut that in half and had 4 oz of cooked noodles for 150 calories.  (Barilla linguine comes in at about 200 calories for 2oz - just to give you a comparison.)

The good thing about these noodles is that they don't need to be soaked in butter, sauce or pesto to taste great.  For lunch I simply added a couple teaspoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese - WONDERFUL.


You can also use this recipe to make ravioli - try making chocolate ravioli, it is yummy!  Give it a try, I promise you will make it again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment