Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cheeseburger Soup

Earlier this year we had taken a trip up to North Conway - like we are wont to do a ever three months or so.  This trip we stopped in at the Scarecrow Pub.  We were all very skeptical at first, but it turned into a great stop.  While we were deciding what to order the waitress informed us that the soup of the day was cheeseburger.  I was intrigued.  After years and years of eating nothing but chicken noodle I had recently developed a taste for soups.  A bowl was ordered and it was fantastic!  Every once in a while I will come across another cheeseburger soup - none have really stood up to that first taste.  So, like always, I set out to make a version of my own.

Cheeseburger Soup

  • 1 lb Ground Beef
  • 1 Onion
  • 2 Celery Stalks
  • 2 Carrots
  • Basil, to taste
  • Parsley, to taste
  • 4 1/2 c Water
  • 4 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
  • 2-3 Potatoes, cubed
  • 3/4 c Milk
  • 3 T Margarine or Butter
  • 1/4 c Flour
  • 2 c Shredded Cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and monterey jack)
  1. Spray a large pot with non-stick spray and add beef, onion, celery, carrots, basil and parsley.  Cook until beef is browned and veggies are softened.  (If you are using high fat concentrated ground beef be sure to drain the fat out of the pot before proceeding.)
  2. Add the water, potatoes and bouillon cubes to the meat and veggie mixture and bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. 
  4. While the soup is simmering melt the butter.  Mix the flour into the melted butter. 
  5. Once the potatoes are tender mix the butter/flour mixture into the soup and bring to a boil.  
  6. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.  Slowly stir in the milk and simmer again for another 5-10 minutes.
  7. Slowly stir in shredded cheese, mixing until it is melted.  Remove from heat and set aside for 5-10 minutes.  
  8. ENJOY
My recipe made about 11 cups.  (I think it actually made more like 12, but I ran out of room in my container so Selph got the left overs - and greatly enjoyed them!)  I also need to mention that all the recipes I had found online during my research called for sour cream to be mixed in as well.  In a soup recipe this size I would say 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup of sour cream would be about right.  I didn't have any sour cream in the house - not to mention I am not a fan - so therefore my soup doesn't have any in this time around.  I will probably add some next time just to see if it makes a difference.

Calorie wise, the soup isn't all that bad considering the ingredients.  For a one cup serving you are looking at about 190-195 calories.  I had a cup along with a salad the other night and it filled me right up.  I do think that the soup needs to be eaten with some crackers or bread - but that might just be me.  What do you think?

*Apparently I completely spaced on taking pictures - sorry.  I will take/upload some soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment