Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cheeseburger Pie

Tonight for dinner I wanted something simple, yummy, and that would produce leftovers for lunches.  Having a sick Stink's meant that I needed to make dinner with what I had on hand - and I hadn't been for groceries in a while so that meant essentials only.  I decided on throwing together a cheeseburger pie cause it was quick which meant I could spend lots of time cuddling with Stinks on the couch and less time by the oven!  

Cheeseburger Pie
  • 3/4 lb Ground Beef
  • 2 T Ketchup
  • 1 t Mustard
  • Minced Onion, to taste
  • Garlic, to taste
  • 2 T Milk
  • 2 T flour
  • 1/3 c Dill Hamburger Pickles, chopped
  • 2 T Pickle Juice
  • 1 c Shredded Cheese of your choice
  • 1 can (8 rolls) Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls *
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Spread 6 of the crescent rolls out on the bottom and sides of an 8-inch pie plate. Set the remaining two rolls aside along with the pie plate.
  3. In a large fry pan brown the beef with the garlic and onion.  Stir in the ketchup, mustard, milk, pickles, pickle juice and flour.  Cook until slightly thickened.
  4. Removed from heat and add 3/4 c of cheese to the meat.  Mix to combine.  
  5. Pour the meat mixture into the prepared pie dish.  Top with the remaining cheese.  Top all of that with the remaining two rolls.
  6. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until the edges of the rolls are browned.
  7. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving - this will set the meat.
  8. ENJOY
As you can imagine this was a hit with the Hubby.  I have to say it was fairly good as well.  I divided the recipe into six servings.  The calorie count of each serving (using reduced fat cheddar cheese) was about 305 calories.  One slice and some broccoli/cauliflower mix was more than enough to fill me up, Brian on the other hand decided on having two slices.  

The only thing I can say about this recipe is that I would bake it for longer.  I prefer my crescent rolls to be flakey instead of gooey.  Brian prefers gooey to flakey.  I settled for something in the middle, but if I was going to call it perfect I would have gone for a flakier crust - which probably would have required me to bake the crust prior to filling.  I also think I would add freshly chopped onions instead of minced, but I am an onion fan.

*I do have a recipe for homemade crescent rolls however I have not perfected it so this was made with Pillsbury.  

Sorry about the photos, I was trying to use our little Nikon but it didn't like me so all the pictures are washed out.  I will have to crack out the good camera soon!
Let me know your thoughts!  

No comments:

Post a Comment