Friday, November 30, 2012

Black Bean Brownies

Yup you read that right, BLACK BEAN brownies.  A few years ago I probably would have scoffed at anyone that said those three words together - but now I will pretty much try anything.  They aren't all that bad.  I think the recipe would go MUCH better if I had an actual food processor and not just a magic bullet.  I am going to have to write to Santa for one.  There is that after taste of black beans, but seeing I like black beans it doesn't bother me too much.  These would probably be even better with some frozen yogurt or even a dollop of cool whip.

The Black Bean Brownies are only about 70 calories less than a regular brownie however so I guess it all depends on your preference.  If you are looking for a brownie recipe that doesn't contain flour then this is for you.

Black Bean Brownies

  • 15 oz (1 can)  Black Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2/3 c Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Egg Whites
  • 1 t Vanilla
  • 5 T Cocoa Powder
  • 1/4 c Butter or Margarine, melted
  • 1/2 c Chocolate Morsels
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease an 8 x 8 pan.
  2. Place all ingredients, save the chocolate morsels, in a food processor and process till smooth.
  3. Pour the mixture into your prepared pan.  Sprinkle the morsels over the batter.
  4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm to touch.
  5. Allow to cool and ENJOY

The brownies are fairly fudge-y in consistence.  I sprinkled a shake of confectioner's sugar on the top as well.  I cut the recipe into 16 pieces which yielded about 120 calories per serving.  As I said earlier, they aren't bad but I am not sure if the calorie savings is big enough for me to forgo my old standby Hershey Brownies.

If you give them a try let me know your opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment