Monday, November 19, 2012

Taco Stew

I am using the term "stew" loosely here seeing I technically precooked the meat.  Names aside this dish surprised me.  I was expecting a very spicy Mexican soup that I wouldn't be able to take more than two bites of without crying for a glass of milk.  It wasn't bad at all - if this wimpy girl could handle it than I am sure everyone else can as well. I should point out that I did add half an avocado to my soup, and that did seem to help with the spiciness - but I took a good 5 spoonfuls before adding the avocado and didn't cry :-D.  It is also one of those recipes that contains all in-house ingredients, we all know how I love those!

Taco Stew

  • 1 lb Ground Beef
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 2 T Taco Seasoning*
  • 3 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
  • 3 1/2 c Water
  • 1 Large Zucchini or 2 Small, cubed
  • 1 can Black Beans, rinsed
  • 1 can Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 c Corn
  • 1 c Salsa
  • 2 oz Cheddar Cheese, shredded (optional, but I think it added that missing layer)
  1. In a large pot, brown the beef with the onion and garlic over medium heat. 
  2. Sprinkle taco seasoning over browned beef and cook for about 5 minutes. 
  3. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese, and stir to mix well.   Bring the mixture to a rolling boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
  4. Dispense into bowls and top each with some cheese.
  5. Enjoy!
Isn't that simple?!  Now comes the good part - the recipe makes about 10 servings.  (I say about cause I don't really measure everything as well as I should - I am really more of an eye-ball cooker so the water might not have been exactly 3.5 cups.)  So 10 servings of 1.5 cups each and they are less than 170 calories a serving!  For something so full of flavor I really was happy with the calorie count.  We had it tonight with some chunks of peasant bread.  YUM.

*I know I have posted this before, however it bears repeating.  Don't forget you can throw together your own taco seasoning from all the standard seasonings you have in your cabinets.  Here is the "recipe" I use:

  • 1 T Chili Powder
  • 1/2 t Garlic
  • 3/4 t Minced Onion
  • 1/4 t Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/2 t Oregano
  • 1 1/2 t Cumin
  • 1/2 t Salt
  • 1 t Black Pepper
  1. Mix all and use per taste preference!


As always, I completely forgot to snap a shot of the soup once I had it all ladled into bowls.  I thought about it while ladling, but once I actually sat down to eat it all thoughts of photography flew right out of my head.  I promise to update with a picture the next time I make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment