Friday, November 16, 2012

Cakes, cakes and more cakes

I love making cakes (like most sweets).  They might not be perfect - as a matter of fact those that aren't used for Linc or Casey's birthdays are normally just thrown together without any thought of perfection.  Almost three years ago I made Brian a "Toad Mushroom" cake for his birthday.  Now that Linc is older he is Mario obsessed as well.  This morning he requested a "Toad Mushroom" cake for his unbirthday. (For those of you that don't know what an un-birthday is, I wish you a very merry un-birthday to you - yes you!  And yes, we have cake on unbirthdays as well as birthdays in this house :-D)

Despite not entirely wanting a wonderfully yummy cake in the house, Stink's request was made so sweetly that I couldn't turn him down.  So we set off to make a mushroom house cake - and yes I do mean WE.  Stinks has recently decided he likes helping me bake, though I am thinking it is just so he can lick the bowl and beaters when I am done - I'll take what I can get though!  Once the cake was in the oven and Stinks had the bowl for licking I made the frosting.  It's best to keep Stinks out of this step or I would have one very hyper little boy on my hands!

Finally the cake was done.  Stinks wanted to help decorate it so we set out frosting the mushroom and making it's spots.  He remembered that Daddy had a green Toad Mushroom from the pictures on our photo frame so he decided on a blue toad mushroom house that Mario and Toad could visit.  Linc is thrilled which means I am too.  And now we have a picture of Linc with his Toad Mushroom cake to put with Brian and his!

I decided that seeing I love making cakes so much I would share my gold cake recipe.  It is just a standard no frills cake recipe that is super easy and just as yummy!  (Warning:  if you were thinking you were getting a low calorie cake recipe, think again!)

Gold Cake

  • 1/2 c Vegetable Shortening
  • 1 c Sugar
  • 1 t Vanilla
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 C Flour
  • 1 c Milk
  • 1 t Baking Powder
  • 3/4 t Baking Soda
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Prepare your pan(s) by greasing and flouring and set them aside.
  2. Cream together the shortening, sugar, vanilla, powder, soda and eggs.  
  3. Add the flour and milk alternately to the mixture.  Mix until well blended.
  4. Pour the batter into your prepared pan(s) and bake at 350 F until the cake is golden brown and a tester inserted comes out clean.
  5. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan(s) and allow to cool completely before frosting.
  6. ENJOY
The cake recipe makes 24 cupcakes or one "character" cake.  If you are making a layer cake it will make 2 8-inch cakes for stacking.  All in all it is a great and versatile recipe.  If you want to really make a splash, divide the batter into 5 or more bowls and tint them all different colors.  Then pour the batter one by one into your prepared pan and bake.  The result will be a colorful cake that will get lots of comments!  
Once I find them, I will upload some more pictures of my previous cakes.










No comments:

Post a Comment