Friday, November 2, 2012

Greek Yogurt Pizza Crust

Pinterest is a great time suck.  I mean that in the best possible way!  I, personally, love it - but it is a time suck.  The biggest problem with pinterest is determining if a recipe or craft is actually "doable" based on the information provided.  A greek yogurt pizza crust is just the type of recipe I am talking about.  Now I know that you can use greek yogurt in place oil in some recipes, but the possibility of adding yogurt to flour and creating a "yummy" pizza crust was something I couldn't wrap my head around.  I put it on the back burner.  

I recently started thinking about the pizza crust concept again when I had to purchase self rising flour for a different recipe.  I figured if the pizza crust was going to be anywhere near edible, self rising flour would be the one to use!  And so I set out to try and keep enough greek yogurt in the house to make a pizza crust!  (Between Brian eating it all, and only having mango or pineapple flavor that was an adventure in itself.)

Greek Yogurt Pizza Crust
  • 1 c Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 - 1 1/4 c Self Rising Flour
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 F
  2. Mix the flour into the greek yogurt.  Knead for 5 minutes.  If the dough is too sticky add a little more flour.
  3. Roll out on a pizza stone, top with toppings of your choice and bake until crust is golden brown.  
  4. Enjoy!
I have to admit I was very skeptical about the crust's taste.  All in all I am impressed.  The crust bubbled up nicely and lost that "bitter" taste from the greek yogurt.  I apologize for the pictures.  I sort of threw the dough together and in my skepticism I wasn't all that careful in preparation!  I also didn't add all the wonderful toppings we normally use on pizza - didn't want to waste the veggies in case it was a horrific disaster!  I have to say that with all the normal toppings this pizza will be all sorts of delicious.  

Calorie wise the crust isn't all that bad.  I cut the pizza into eight slices which would leave the calorie count at about 65-70 calories per slice (just for the crust).  As is in the picture, with sauce and cheese, the pizza came to about 80 calories per slice - not bad at ALL for pizza!!

  
Next time I will make sure to roll it out evenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment