Monday, October 1, 2012

Slow Cooker Beef/Veggie Soup

By popular demand (ok it was just my mother and aunt, but that counts as popular right?) I am posting my slow cooker beef veggie soup recipe.  I stumbled upon a beef/vegetable soup recipe a while back, and in case you don't already know - I am normally not a tomato person.  In addition to the tomatoes there were a few beans (I am NOT a bean person unless they are refried :-D) that made me quite skeptical.  Yet, being determined to shed some pounds has turned me into a "I will try anything once" person.  As well as a "I'm on a giant soup kick" person.  This soup had it's first try and I decided if it was to remain in my arsenal tweaks needed to be made.  I dropped out the beans and changed the tomatoes.  With the changes I will keep the recipe around for easy (read: lazy) day meals or lunches for the week.

Slow Cooker Beef and Vegetable Soup

  • 1 lb of Ground Beef (browned and drained) 
  • 2 c Beef Broth
  • 2 c Water*
  • 1 can Diced Tomatoes (I use cans that have onion and garlic added - or even green chilies)
  • 1 packet Onion Soup Mix (dry)
  • 1 Bag (10-12 oz) Frozen Mixed Veggies (pick your favorite)
  1. Brown and drain the ground beef.
  2. Combine all ingredients in your slow cooker.  Give them a mix.
  3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
  4. ENJOY
The second time I made this soup I brought some to my mother - to say it was a big hit was an understatement.  I recently doubled the recipe for a family party - what better way to ward off the chills of a new fall day? 
The recipe makes about 6-7 servings (depending on the amount of water and veggies) of 1.75-2 cups each.  I have it calculated at about 95-100 calories per serving.   I enjoy the low calorie count of the soup (probably due to the lack of noodles), and boy does it smell DELICIOUS while cooking!!  


I apologize for the horrible photo - I wasn't planning on posting this recipe yet and therefore had to dig up an old photo for the post.


*I normally add 2 1/2 - 3 cups of water, however I have done just two as well - choose your preference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment