Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Peanut Butter (Corn Flake) Bars

As I am sure you have read by now I am constantly on the prowl for "yummy" sweets that agree with my journey.  Some of the things I was certain to have to relegate to the once-a-year-treat pile were any form of my peanut butter bars or balls.  It was a very very depressing thought.  Peanut butter is meant to be eaten in large quantities and often - preferably right out of the jar with a spoon or mixed with some form of chocolate!!  So the search is constant - I head to Pinterest for some of these searches, though like anything you find online, it is always a good idea to recheck any calorie count you find - they aren't always truthful!  This time I found a recipe with potential.  As always, prior to attempting a recipe or even adapting one, I plug the original into my calorie counter - yup it had potential!!  So I sat down and racked my brain on how I could make it just that much friendlier to my daily caloric intake, not to mention my fat and protein intake.  (I would normally say my sugar intake as well, but let's face it I was looking for a recipe with chocolate!)  Here are the results:


Peanut Butter (Corn Flake) Bars

  • 3 c Corn Flakes, crushed
  • 1 c + 1T Peanut Butter (I use creamy but you can use what you want/have)
  • 1/2 c Sugar
  • 1/2 c Corn Syrup 
  • 6 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  1. Prepare a 9 x 13 dish by foiling and greasing.
  2. In a microwave safe bowl combine  1 cup of peanut butter, the sugar and the corn syrup.  Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring between, until melted and combined.
  3. Mix the corn flakes into the peanut butter mix and press into the prepared pan.
  4. In the same microwave safe bowl combine the chocolate chips and 1 T of peanut butter.  Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring between, until the chocolate is melted.  Pour over the corn flake mix in the pan.  
  5. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm and cut into pieces.
  6. Enjoy!
Now these bars may not be as sweet as the "Gold Bars" I normally make, but they are HALF the calories!  I cut the bars into 32 pieces resulting in a calorie count of 111/bar.  I know it doesn't seem like a low calorie snack, but it will satisfy my peanut butter chocolate craving so it is great in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment