Monday, October 15, 2012

Chocolate Cake - Lower Calorie


This day and age "low calorie" means something different to each individual.  Since the start of my journey, I have made the decision that I will not be able to make a healthy life style change if I cut out all the foods that I enjoy (not only eating but making as well)!  So, allow me to give you some perspective on my opinion of "lower calorie".  The standard chocolate cake made in my family - Midnight Chocolate Cake - with our standard frosting recipe would run you around 400 calories per piece.  That is a meal for me!  I LOVE that cake, however there is no way I will be able to eat it multiple days in a row.  Keeping that in mind, this recipe is for a chocolate cake with chocolate glaze that will run you about 230 calories for a similarly sized piece.  There you have it - lower calorie cake.  Now I am sure I will want Midnight Chocolate Cake at some point in the future - and there is no way I will go without the family's frosting recipe for long periods, however this is a nice alternative to a 400 calorie per slice.  Saving 200 calories for dessert is doable, 400 calories for dessert would mean not eating dinner!

Chocolate Glazed Chocolate Cake (lower calorie)

  • 1 c Buttermilk *
  • 1/2 c Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 1/3 c Oil
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 t Vanilla
  • 1 c Flour
  • 1 c Sugar
  • 1/2 c Cocoa
  • 1 t Baking Soda
Chocolate Glaze

  • 1 c Confectioners Sugar
  • 2 T Cocoa
  • 1 T Light Corn Syrup
  • 1 T Hot Water
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.  
  2. Prepare a 9-inch round cake pan by greasing it and set aside.
  3. Combine egg, applesauce, oil, vanilla and buttermilk. (*If you do not have buttermilk you can make some by adding 2 t of vinegar to 1 cup of low fat milk.  Allow to sit for 10 minutes before use.)
  4. Mix in sugar, cocoa, flour and baking soda.  
  5. Mix well to ensure no clumps.
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.  
  7. If you are removing from the pan for serving, allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 20 minutes before tipping it out of the pan onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
  8. FOR THE GLAZE:  Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe dish.  Mix well - it will be a tough/hard consistency.  Microwave on high for 20 seconds.  Mix well, if the glaze is not melted enough return to microwave for 10 second intervals until melted.  (If the glaze is too thick, add another tablespoon of hot water.)  Spread glaze over the cake and allow to set.
  9. ENJOY!
The cake may not be as large as the Midnight Chocolate Cake, however there are a LOT less ingredients (3 cups of flour compared to 1 cup of flour).  As I said the pieces were equivalent in size - the only main difference is the glaze versus the frosting.  I will keep working on that :-D
Nutritional information:
Serving Size 1/12 of cake.  Calories: 227,  Protien: 3,  Fat: 7,  Carbohydrates: 39
If you try it, let me know your thoughts!

So good and so fudge-y




Adapted from Healthy Meals in Minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment