Friday, October 5, 2012

Crochet

I have decided to learn to crochet and I LOVE unsolicited/solicited advice!

In the past I have tried my hand at knitting - the bottom of my closet is currently home to 4 beautifully UNFINISHED scarves.  I learned how to create them but never how to finish them.  One of these days I will pick that up again.  Lately, however, I have been finding more and more crocheted items that I want to make - some of them even seem beginner friendly.  The item that made me run out and buy a crochet hook is this!  I want to make these "cozies"into beautiful cuff bracelets for myself.  I am determined.

This is just the start of my crochet path.  I have already had to call an Aunt about what I am terming a 'crochet catastrophe'.  I fear I learn better from watching - a person sitting next to me that is, not a you tube tutorial.  I was able to make a chain within my first try, but once I attempted to add on to that chain I was ending up with extra loops and fly away yarn.  I finally (read: after 15 minutes of complaining and 5 minutes of actually thinking about what I was doing) was able to add to the chain, but now I am stuck again - at the "turn".  The cozy seems so easy, I refuse to allow this to defeat me. I will pack up my yarn and hook and bring them to the next family party.  Be forewarned - if you know how to crochet I will corner you!!

I will update with some picture as soon as I have something substantial to share.  Until then, just picture me in a rocking chair crocheting away.  (Ha - we don't even own a rocking chair :-D)

Here is my work so far.  To say I just taught myself this I am pretty happy with the results.

As I am sure you can see in the picture, I botched a few "stitches" early on, but my work seems to be getting more assured and neater.  My main issue is that I seem to pull the crochet too tight so then I go to push the hook through I have to pick it apart.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

1 comment:

  1. yeah I was mistakenly under the impression that I needed to pull it tight at all times. And therefore it got EXTREMELY difficult 6 rows in... to the point of not being able to put the hook through. I read somewhere that beginners should start with an H hook - i tried that and didn't like it so I switched over to a J - I have giant un-lady-like hands and it was just more comfortable. Maybe I should try to make the H work... I dunno. It is still trial and error. I also think that I probably should have started with a SOLID colored yarn. I keep forgetting to count the "stitches" I make too.... I am determined though.

    ReplyDelete