Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cheeseburger Calzones

This is an oldie but goodie!!  I have been making this recipe, regularly, since the West Boylston apartment (for those of you that don't know "Amy-Time" that is about 8 years now).  It is no big coincidence that this recipe came into my life when I decided to try and accept ground beef - prior to my early 20's I flat out REFUSED to eat anything that contained ground beef!  It is one of those recipes that is super easy and very filling.  It has always been a crowd pleaser whenever I made threw it together.  The best part is that the calzone crust is made of bisquick - no waiting for dough to rise and stretch and all that nonsense.  If you like cheeseburgers and you like calzones give this a try, I promise you won't be disappointed!!

Cheeseburger Calzones

  • 12 oz Ground Beef
  • 2 t Minced Onion
  • 3 T Ketchup
  • 1 t Mustard
  • 2 c Bisquick (I use Heart Healthy Bisquick for some reduced calories.  I also have a "bisquick" recipe but I haven't proven it yet so that will have be revealed later.)
  • 1/2 c Water, HOT (or boiling)
  • 4 slices Provolone Cheese (you can use cheddar or american the calorie count will just be higher.  Use your preference!)
  • Dill Pickle Chips
  • 1 Egg, beaten for egg wash (I normally add some water to the egg)
  1. Preheat oven for 375 F.  
  2. Brown the ground beef and onion together.  Drain.
  3. Add ketchup and mustard to the ground beef and set aside.
  4. Mix bisquick and water together, with a fork, until a dough forms  Divide the dough in fourths and roll flat into about 6 inch rounds.
  5. Place your rounds on a greased baking sheet or stone
  6. Spoon a fourth of the beef mixture onto one side of each round.  Top with cheese slice and pickles.  Fold over the other half and press edges with a fork to seal. 
  7. Brush each calzone with the egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  
  8. ENJOY



See, super easy and quick!  If you are using provolone cheese (and low fat content ground beef) the calzones turn out being about 430 calories a piece.  Not all that bad considering the amount of food there!!  One of these has always filled me up.  I have it on good authority (the Hubby) that they are just as good reheated the next day.  Give them a try and let me know your opinion!


**Adapted from Betty Crocker**

No comments:

Post a Comment