Monday, December 10, 2012

Zucchini and Mozzarella Chicken Roll Ups

YUM!  I don't think this needs any more description than that, but of course I am wordy so I will give it one. :-D

As I am sure you have noticed: I love zucchini, cheese and chicken.  Put all three of them together and I am thrilled.  Add a good dose of garlic and I am ecstatic!  This recipe is the perfect amount of everything wonderful.  Even Brian liked it.  Makes me want to make kiev - yet I am thinking the calorie count would go up with that butter.

The recipe is very simple - there are a few steps but they are easy - and of course it is made with all ingredients that are staples.  It is also one of those recipes that fills the house with such the best aroma while cooking that your mouth actually waters!

Zucchini and Mozzarella Chicken Roll Ups

  • 12 oz boneless skinless Chicken Breast, flattened to uniform size
  • 2 cloves Garlic
  • 1 medium Zucchini, shredded
  • 1/4 c Parmesan Cheese, shredded and divided
  • 2-3 oz Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1/4 c Bread Crumbs
  • 1 T Oil
  • 1/2 c Lemon Juice

  1. Preheat the oven to 450F.  Lightly spray a shallow baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
  2. In a fry pan sauté garlic with zucchini and half the parmesan cheese until heated through.  Set aside to cool slightly.
  3. Wash and dry the chicken breasts ( I make 3-4 roll ups out of 12 oz but it all depends on how your breasts are cut.)  Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Divide the mozzarella cheese between the flattened chicken breasts.  Top the cheese with the zucchini mixture and roll up the chicken.  
  5. In a small bowl combine the oil and the lemon juice. 
  6. Combine the bread crumbs with the remaining parmesan cheese. 
  7. Dip the chicken rolls into the lemon juice mixture and roll them in the bread crumb mixture.  Place the rolls seam down in the prepared dish.
  8. Bake for 25-35 minutes.
  9. ENJOY
I know it seems like a lot of work but it really isn't!  Even if it was, the result is worth the effort.  I divide the dish into three servings.  The calorie count comes in at about 290 calories per serving (which is normally one roll up and a portion of another).  I ate mine with some peasant bread and cucumbers.  All in all a very filling and scrumptious meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment