Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Chicken Penne Pesto

Pasta, the bane of my journey existence.  I love it so, but it is really just not calorically friendly.  To get my fix I try to think of super yummy pasta dishes that will make the taste worth the calorie intake.  I think I hit right on that concept with this recipe.

This is actually a lot thicker of a sauce than I was originally intending.  I might tweak it down the road to make the sauce thinner, but for right now I am perfectly content to eat this dish as is!!

Chicken Penne Pesto

  • 12 oz Penne
  • 2 Chicken Breasts, cubed
  • 3/4 c Chicken Broth
  • 3/4 c Milk
  • 1 T Cornstarch
  • 1/3 c Pesto
  • 4 c Broccoli, chopped
  • 2 cloves Garlic
  • 1 T Butter
  • 1/2 c Parmesan Cheese, divided
  1. In a large pot cook your penne per package directions. 
  2. While your penne is cooking, spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and melt the butter over medium high heat.  Add in the chicken and garlic and sauté till the chicken is cooked through.  
  3. In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch, broth and milk.  Add the mixture to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium - low, stirring occasionally while the sauce thickens.
  4. Once the sauce has thickened slightly add the pesto and half the cheese to the chicken and sauce. Cook over medium heat, mix well to combine.
  5. Once the pesto is combine add the broccoli to the skillet and cook through.  
  6. When the broccoli has reached the desired tenderness pour the contents of the skillet over the cooked and drained penne.  Toss to coat.  
  7. Top with the remaining cheese and ENJOY!
The recipe makes about 12-13 cups of pasta.  I divided it into 6 servings of 2 cups.  Obviously, looking at the ingredients, you shouldn't be expecting a dish of 100 calories.  This comes in at about 435 calories per serving.  In my opinion it is completely worth every single one of them!  The dish is quick to make and has all things I love - pasta, broccoli, chicken, and pesto - what more could I want?
As you can see I cleaned my plate!

Give it a try and let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment