Friday, December 7, 2012

Double Chocolate Banana Bread

As evidenced previously I am a fan of banana bread.  It is yummy, filling and super easy to make.  There are a bunch of different recipes out there that can require a variety of ingredients, ranging from sour cream to cream cheese.  This recipe doesn't require anything random - all in house ingredients for this one.

Stinks call this his "chocolate cake bread" - I don't think he even realizes that it has bananas in it!

Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Check out that chocolatey goodness with peanut butter!

  • 1 c Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/3 c Oil
  • 1 t Vanilla
  • 1 1/2 c Flour
  • 1/2 c Cocoa
  • 1 t Baking Soda
  • 3-4 Bananas, mashed
  • Salt - just a dash
  • 1/2 c Chocolate Morsels
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease 2* loaf pans.
  2. Combine the sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and bananas.  Mix well.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients to the banana mix and blend well.
  4. Divide between the prepared pans and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean
  5. Allow to cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes before transferring the breads to a cooling rack.
  6. ENJOY
This recipe produces a very fudge-y like bread.  I choose to create two "short" loaves instead of one giant loaf.  The recipe allows for either so it really is up to your discretion.  I choose two short loaves to cut down on the calories - I am able to cut the loaves into 24 equal slices which brings the calorie count to about 130 calories per slice.  All in all that isn't all that bad.  Now if I made one loaf I would cut the loaf into about 14 slices which would make the calorie count about 225 per slice.  I know the slices are technically "shorter" but my head gets just as full on a short slice as it does a larger one so I would prefer the 130 calorie slice.

This bread tastes AMAZING with a serving of peanut butter!  I am working towards blending my peanut butter banana bread and this chocolate one - to make a superior banana bread of course!  I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment