Friday, September 7, 2012

Lettuce Wraps


These are the BEST HOMEMADE LETTUCE WRAPS I have ever made!  They taste very much like PF Changs.  I honestly don't think I will ever look for another lettuce wrap recipe they are that good!

This morning when I woke up I was thinking "Japanese food would be wonderful for dinner".  Thus came the search for the hibachi soup.  Once that was settled on I turned my attention to the main course, and though they have more of a Thai taste, lettuce wraps won out.

I have made many a lettuce wrap over the past few years.  Always looking for that one recipe that would rival PF Changs yumminess, yet be homemade and a little lighter. (PF Changs lettuce wraps, to me at least, seem to sit heavy in my stomach.)  I have noted a recipe for working with a few months ago, so I dug it up and started tinkering.  The result was spectacular. Exactly what I was looking for, PF Chang's taste without the heavy feeling.  These will definitely become a regular rotation meal.

*As I like to say with all my recipes, this one is made with materials I always have in the house.  I am starring this statement because I am sure not every household out there stocks sesame oil, rice vinegar, water chestnuts and fresh bean sprouts.  We just happen to - the rest of the ingredients are kitchen staples however.

I will apologize now, I only have pictures of the finished product because I was preoccupied while prepping and forgot to take pictures.  Let's blame Stinks :-D

Lettuce Wraps

  • 1 lb of chicken, ground (you can grind your own or just buy ground chicken)
  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 - 3/4 t ginger (depends on your preference)
  • 1 T sesame oil
  • 2 1/2 T soy sauce
  • 1/2 T water
  • 1 T smooth peanut butter
  • 1/2 T honey
  • 1 T + 1 t rice vinegar
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 4 oz water chestnuts, chopped
  • 2 oz mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 7 oz bean sprouts (I just throw them in until it looks like enough, same with the chestnuts and mushrooms)
  • Large lettuce leaves for wraps
  1. Brown chicken with onion, garlic and ginger.  Keep chicken in skillet on low heat.
  2. Combine sesame oil, soy sauce, water, peanut butter, honey and rice vinegar in a microwave safe dish. (You can omit the water if you want.)  Microwave for about 1 minute to melt peanut butter and mix well.
  3. Add mixture to chicken and mix to coat well.
  4. Add scallions, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and carrot.  Cook until scallions are soft.  (This step I made last for a while seeing I over estimated the time needed to prep and I was waiting for Brian to get home.  It was on low heat for about 10 minutes, not harm done.)
  5. Remove from heat and toss in bean sprouts.  Mix to coat.
  6. Serve with lettuce leaves
  7. ENJOY
The recipe claims to make 2-3 servings.  I settled on three for 399 calories a serving.  At full disclosure I could not eat all of my third.  I made it through about 3/4's of it before I was too full to contemplate anymore.  (Keep in mind I also had a serving of hibachi soup - yet wasn't able to finish that either. Lettuce wraps, hibachi soup, and a cup of watermelon makes for a very filling meal!)

I have decided that I am going to skip the lettuce leaf with the left overs. Instead I will add a freshly chopped cucumber to the meat mixture for crunch.  (We all know my love of cucumbers and willingness to put them in EVERYTHING.)
If you try them, let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. OH I have had the Not Your Average Joe's ones as well. They were just shy of being ok. Go to PF Changs and order the lettuce wraps (they have vegetarian ones) - they will BLOW YOUR MIND! (Actually PF Changs has a LOT of vegetarian dishes, now thatI think about it.)

    Not to pat myself on the back or anything but Brian demolished his - always a sign that it is good food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite sure, that this lettuce wraps recipe is not only delicious, but nutritious too. Can I have some? :P Lalelop, mushrooms are rich in Vitamin D, actually, and they are the only source of this critical vitamin.

    ReplyDelete