Monday, September 10, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie SOUP

There really is nothing like a good chicken pot pie.  I am partial to homemade pot pies (shocking I know), however Willow Tree, Lucky's and Davenport's all know how to make good pies if you are strapped on time.  Seeing I am not a huge fan of pie crust (though I am always in the mood for the wonderful flakiness of Lucky's crust - seriously if you are in the Seekonk/East Providence area you need to stop in and try their pot pie) this pot pie soup recipe seemed just the thing for me.  I couldn't wait to try it.  As a matter of fact, it jumped right to the top of the "to try" list and thus was simmering away on the stove this very afternoon.

The recipe is very simple, although I do have a disclaimer:  The chicken is precooked.  For me this is not an issue, seeing I have a tendency to boil up some chicken at the beginning of the week for salads and what have you.  (Of course it is very easy to just poach some chicken in boiling water.)

Chicken Pot Pie Soup


  • 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and chopped
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 2 c water
  • 4 c milk
  • 1 stalk of celery
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 chicken bouillon cubes
  • 1 bag frozen veggies (of your choice, I used mixed corn, peas, carrots, green beans and lima beans.  I also added a cup of broccoli seeing broccoli makes everything better :-D)
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Make a slurry with the flour and 1/4 cup of the water.
  2. Combine the remaining water, milk, and bouillon in a pan.  Bring to a rolling boil.
  3. Reduce heat and add all the veggies.  Bring to a rolling boil again, then reduce heat to simmer until veggies are softened.
  4. Add potatoes.  Cook until tender.
  5. Add chicken
  6. Stir in slurry, mix well
  7. Season with salt and pepper to taste
  8. ENJOY

The recipe made about 6 servings of 1 1/2 cups.  Each serving is 244 calories - not bad, it is very filling!  I also made some wonderful crusty bread (how have I never blogged about the crusty bread?!) to accompany the soup.  (Brian requested a bread bowl, but I didn't even want to CONTEMPLATE the amount of calories that would be so I put him off for a little bit.)  If you are a fan of pot pie then I say give this a try!  It really was wonderful.  (Don't mind the super large chunks of chicken in the picture- that will teach me to be lazy and not cut down my chicken.  Check out that wonderfully yummy crusty bread!!)





No comments:

Post a Comment