Thursday, September 6, 2012

CrockPot Chicken Fajitas


We are big fans of Tex Mex / Mexican cuisine in this house.  I honestly think, and have been told by the man himself, that Brian could eat from said genre every day and be blissfully happy.  (Personally I would take a pizza or a pasta dish every day, but to each their own.)  Of course there are the super chain restaurants, such as Chili's and On the Border, were you can get your mexican craving whetted with super large meals that may or may not taste authentically yummy.  Brian and I stumbled onto a very yummy place named Jalisco in Putnam, CT.  It is now our go-to mexican restaurant: they are quick, they are clean, they like Linc, and the food is wonderful! (My absolutely favorite mexican restaurant has to be this little hole in the wall that Brian and I found on Maui.  IT WAS DELICIOUS!!) All this being said, mexican cuisine is not exactly the lowest calorie food out there.  Between the tortillas, cheese and wonderful wonderful avocados (I have been on a HUGE avocado kick for weeks now - I will eat them in/with ANYTHING), you are looking at one very high caloric meal.

Which brings us to this recipe.  I stumbled upon it while I was wasting timeignoring work, quickly perusing Pinterest the other day. I am not always a fan of crockpot recipes, but who out there can tell me that the allure of throwing everything for a meal into one pot isn't a strong one?  I also noticed that to cook the chicken, the recipe uses chicken broth - no more skillets full of butter here!  Plus the recipe uses ingredients that the house is always stocked with, which is a BIG thing for me... I hate having to go to the store for that one ingredient I only use for one recipe.  It doesn't cut the calories of all the extras (i.e.: tortillas, cheese, guac), but it is a quick and easy meal and it tastes good.  (Plus, I have taken to eating fajitas without any wraps and just a small amount of cheese added - so I guess now they aren't fajitas just a skillet of meat and veggies.)

The recipe is simple, what you see above is what you use (with the exception of lime juice - I apparently forgot to put it in the picture).  I think in the future I will play with the spices a little, I am not that huge a fan of cumin and you could definitely taste it in this one.  I added more veggies than the recipe called for, but that is cause I LOVE peppers and onions.  The original recipe came from here.  This is my version of it:

CrockPot Chicken Fajitas
  • 1 lbs Chicken Breast - skinned, trimmed and cut into 1 inch thick strips
  • 2 Medium Onions
  • 3 Peppers
  • 2 T Chili Powder
  • 1 t Cumin
  • 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
  • 2 T Lime Juice
  • Salt and Pepper 
  1. Place the trimmed and stripped chicken in the bottom of your crock pot
  2. Peel and slice an onion and scatter on top of chicken.
  3. Slice peppers and scatter on top of onion and chicken
  4. Slice remaining onion and scatter on top again
  5. Pour lime juice over veggies and chicken
  6. In a small bowl mix together broth, chili powder and cumin.  Pour the mixture of the meat and veggies.
  7. Set your crock pot to 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low (I cooked on low).
  8. Enjoy!


See what I mean- SIMPLE.  The chicken was very moist and the veggies were not.  I think I would cut back the amount of broth used next time (maybe in half).  For a first try, however, these were pretty good.  I paired mine with two Coco Lite crisps (some people say they taste like cardboard but I LOVE these fun 16 calorie crisps - especially with toppings) and a 1/4 cup of mexican cheese. The recipe made three servings at 284 calories a serving.  It was MORE than enough to fill me up for dinner - I probably could have turned it into 4 servings!  



No comments:

Post a Comment