Sunday, September 23, 2012

Chai Tea Mix

I am not a coffee drinker.  I am not a tea drinker.  As a mater of fact that only warm beverages I will (normally) drink are hot chocolate and steamed milk - which, of course, I add ice cubes to to make them cooler for consumption.  Brian, on the other hand, is a grand connoisseur of all warm beverages.  He needs coffee; he drinks teas, hot chocolates, and pretty much anything that you could think of that would come out of a Starbucks :-D

I had noticed time and again that Brian would go through vanilla chai cravings (whether is be a warm tea, frozen tea, or just a Bolthouse).  We had purchased all the different mixes/brews to try and find the perfect make-at-home taste.  Seeing Brian is fairly easy going - he never really complained about any of them, nor did he rave about one either.  I decided to research creating my own chai mix in the hopes we could use it for the many different chai flavored drinks (not to mention cakes and goodies recipes I have accumulated that require chai).

Thus, Chai Tea Mix was born.  It is not the normal in-house friendly recipe.  I had to make sure I wrote the four main ingredients on my shopping list in order to make this mix, however I have been told by many that it is worth it.  (Perhaps one of these days I should try it.)  The recipe is SIMPLE and if you like Chai I am thinking it will become a staple.

Chai Tea Mix
1 c Dry Milk Powder (I used carnation non-fat)
1 c Non Dairy Creamer (I used light)
1 c Non Dairy French Vanilla Creamer (again I used light)
2 1/2 c Sugar
1 1/2 c Instant UNSWEETENED Tea (no lemon flavoring!!!!)
2 t Cinnamon
2 t Ginger
1 t Cloves
1 t Nutmeg


  1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together.
  2. Transfer the mix, in portions, to a food processor (or in my case magic bullet) and grind until it is a fine powder.  Grind all of the mix to the find powder.
  3. Store in an air tight container



To create a nice warm cup of chai tea you mix one tablespoon of powder to one cup of water.  Here in this house we are not so big on measuring so we eye ball everything - I say find where your taste preference is and do that!

*One serving (1 T of mix) = 28 calories, 0 fat, 0 protein, and 6 carbs.  This batch makes about 114 servings.

As always, if you try it let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment