Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Waiting Game

As many of you know I have returned to lotion/soap etc making with a vengeance.  I truly enjoy creating lotion bars, soaps, bath bombs, and anything else I set out to make.  I guess you could say it is like a form of baking (yet another thing I truly enjoy) - or you could just chalk it up to me being the daughter of a mad scientist and enjoying the process of experimenting with "chemicals" to see what I can create.  

What I don't enjoy is the waiting between the ordering process and the actual experimental process.  Don't get me wrong I love the fact that every possible butter or oil is available at my fingertips.  Though I enjoy scouring country shops and fairs, they aren't always the most convenient and reliable sources for all materials - and honestly you can only take so many trips to Amish Country a year :-).  I do like that I can buy whatever it is I am looking for at the click of a mouse.  That being said, I am not a very patient person.  When I get something into my head I want to act, not think about it for a week or longer waiting for supplies.  I am the type to read a book cover to cover in one sitting just so I can mark it as complete.  I like starting things when the mood hits me and pushing through till they are finished.  


Most suppliers of quality butters, oils and other natural products have been experiencing a boom recently.  Apparently everyone wants in on the "natural, organic, handmade" market.  Due to higher demand their normal turn around of one business day has been stretched to a week - not including shipping time.  This means that I come up with a wonderful idea for a new hand and foot cream, order the magical new butters to make it (and improve upon my basic lotion bars), wait the 7-15 days for it to arrive at my house - and promptly lose all interest in making it seeing the feeling has past.  The materials then sit in my newly appointed "Amy Cubby" of the new desk till the feeling hits again.  This is not an efficient system at all.  I wonder if there is a way for me to keep the truly productive/creative feeling surging through the staging and shipping phase - any suggestions?  


No comments:

Post a Comment