Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Loaf Bread


I am on a quest to make all of my favorite kinds of bread.  I am almost to the point where I could supply my family with homemade versions of our favorite breads - crescent rolls are the only ones giving me a problem.


I own a bread machine, but hardly ever use it anymore.  I am much more likely to mix, pound, and roll out my own doughs.  It is NOT DIFFICULT people and oh so rewarding when you get those perfect loaves!  Though I am still partial to peasant or crusty bread, we all need a good, standard loaf bread recipe.

Loaf Bread

  • 2 1/2 c Warm Water
  • 1 T Dry Active Yeast
  • 1 T Sugar
  • 7 c Flour
  • 2 t Salt
  • 1/4 c Butter or Margarine, softened
Got to love a perfectly rising
bread dough!
  1. Combine 1/2 c warm water, the sugar and the yeast in your mixing bowl.  Set aside for 5-10 minutes - it should foam.  If it doesn't foam than either your yeast is no good or your water was too hot and killed the yeast.  Try again.  
  2. Once the yeast mixture is nice and foamy add in the remaining 2 c of water and 3 cups of flour.  Mix well, it will be thin!
  3. Finally add in the butter, remaining 4 c of flour and the salt.  (We mix the flour in stages to keep the salt from affecting the yeast mixture.)  
  4. If you are using a mixer with a dough hook, continue mixing the dough for about 5-10 minutes until it is nicely elastic.  If you are mixing by hand you will need to knead the dough on your counter for 10-15 minutes until nicely elastic and uniform.  
  5. Return the dough back to the mixing bowl, no need to oil or wash the bowl, cover the bowl with a towel and place in a warm draft free spot to allow the dough to rise.  (I place my bowl in the microwave as I am normally using my oven while I am waiting for the dough to rise.)
  6. Grease two loaf pans and set them aside.
  7. After the dough has doubled in size (about 2 hours) punch it down and divide the dough in half. Flatten each half to about the size of a piece of paper and fold them in on themselves like you would a letter.  Pinch the seams and place in the prepared loaf pans.  Be sure to push the dough down so it touches all the sides of the pan. Return the loaf pans to your warm, draft free, and dry space (not the oven), cover them with the towel and allow the dough to rise once more.  It should take about an hour to double in size.
  8. Preheat your oven to 375 F.  
  9. Once the dough has doubled in size again place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.  The crust will turn a nice golden brown.
  10. Immediately remove the loaves from the pans when taking them out of the oven and set on a rack to cool.
  11. ENJOY!
I know it is a lot of steps but it is really simple!  I would give you the calorie count of a slice, but everyone prefers a different thickness to their bread.  I will tell you that the recipe makes 2 loaves with a total calorie count of 3360 - divide as you will!  I am not one to each many sandwiches (PB&J is pretty much it) but I do enjoy toast!  This bread makes some EXCELLENT toast.  I am also thinking it will make great french toast!  As soon as I kick this flu, I will be trying that out.


Here are some links to the many other breads I have tackled lately:

No comments:

Post a Comment