Friday, January 25, 2013

Iced Dark Chocolate Gingerbread Loaf

I seem to be on a gingerbread kick.  I have always loved molasses cookies (it is my favorite dough to eat!) but lately I have been more of a bar/loaf girl than a cookie girl.  This past holiday season I was completely obsessed with gingerbread bars, I prefer mine without the frosting but they are wonderful.  Seeing chocolate makes EVERYTHING better I figured I would try my hand at a chocolate gingerbread loaf.

I am posting this recipe because it is something different and it has been enthusiastically enjoyed by my sample-crowd (otherwise known as the teachers at Stinkles's school).  I, myself, am not impressed.  I think perhaps if I make it again I will use all oil and regular cocoa instead of dutch process.  Of course the change in oil will increase the calorie count.  I think I will probably just stick with the regular old gingerbread bars that I normally make.  If you try this one out let me know your thoughts.

Iced Dark Chocolate Gingerbread Loaf

  • 1/4 c Oil
  • 1/4 c Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 1/2 c Dutch Process or Dark Chocolate Cocoa
  • 1/2 c Molasses
  • 3/4 c Brown Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/4 c Milk
  • 1 c Flour
  • 3/4 t Baking Soda
  • 2 t Ginger
  • 1 t Cinnamon
  • 1/4 t Cloves
  • 1/4 t Nutmeg
    • 1 c Confectioner's Sugar
    • 1 T Milk
    • 1/2 t Vanilla
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 F.  Grease and flour (I use cocoa instead of flour so you don't have a funny colored loaf due to the white flour) a loaf pan and set aside.  
  2. Combine the oil, molasses and brown sugar in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 1 minute.  Mix well to incorporate all the sugar.  Pour the mixture into you big mix bowl.
  3. Add in the applesauce, milk, soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.  Once the mixture has cooled sufficiently add in the eggs.  Blend well.
  4. Finally mix in the flour.
  5. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until the loaf bounces back to the touch and a tested inserted in the center comes out clean.
  6. Remove the loaf from the oven and place the loaf pan on it's side to allow the loaf to cool slightly before removing it from the pan.  (By placing the loaf on it's side you are helping to ensure it does not stick to the bottom of the loaf pan.)
  7. Remove the loaf from the pan and place on a cooling rack to cool completely before icing.
  8. To make the icing, coming the confectioner's sugar, milk and vanilla.  If it is too thick slowly add in teaspoons of milk until the desired consistency is achieved.  Once the loaf has cooled completely pour the icing over the loaf and allow it to set.
  9. ENJOY
It really is a very simple recipe.  The calorie count comes in at about 160 calories per slice - if you slice your loaf into 18 slices.  Those are fairly thin slices, if you are looking more for a Starbucks slice thickness you are probably looking at about 320-350 calories per slice.  Everything in moderation, right?


I served the loaf with some cut up strawberries and a side of cool whip.  (In my opinion cool whip goes with everything, even if it is iced :-D)

No comments:

Post a Comment