Monday, November 28, 2011

Only Child Syndrome

G. Stanley Hall seemed to go out of his way to give only children a bad rap, as a matter of fact he called their state a "disease of itself."

It has taken two years and a LOT of tears to come to grips with the fact that Linc will in fact be an only child.  I know that all you single children out there are reading this thinking "why is that such a big deal?"

First you have to understand that I always pictured having at least 4 children.  The more the merrier - that seems to be my family's opinion and personally I have always loved it.  With that being said, life has taken a different path and I am reshaping that picture of the future to now revolve around Linc and his EXTREMELY lucky/thankful parents.

Secondly, I am not an only child.  I am privileged enough to be the younger sister to my WONDERFUL older sister.  I can honestly say that there has been no time in my life when I could picture something being better without her.  I can't picture my LIFE without her and I am positive she enriched my life growing up.  I am not saying that all of those people without a sibling had a worse life then mine, I am just saying that my sister and I have always been and will always be there for one another - and that is not something I would ever trade away.  (Seriously, who but a big sister could you do this to day in and day out and they still want you around?)

Now maybe because I had that live in playmate/confidant/someone to always take my side against that of the parental units, I never had to find all of those things in one or many other people outside my house.  That doesn't mean that it wouldn't have happened it just means that I never had to look for it.  Does being an only child make you view your friends in a different manner?  Will Linc be angry that he doesn't have a live in playmate?  Will he understand?  Will he like the peace and quiet?  Will he view his lack of siblings as a "disease in of itself?"

I know that this is very jumbled and jumpy - as are my thoughts on the topic.  I just wanted to write something down in hopes of helping my refocusing and reshaping!  I just want to be able to provide the best possible life for Linc!

No comments:

Post a Comment