Friday, April 15, 2011

Is it wrong that I get goose bumps when I hear the Disney version of "When You Wish Upon a Star"?

I posed this question to my Facebook friends not to long ago.  I know I am a grown woman, however there is just something about Disney.  Just the first opening notes of a Disney movie will do it to me!!  I am not talking about Eisner's later years and multitude of sequels (however funny some of them may be.)  I am talking about true Disney.  I know that mostly all of Disney's big movies are just regurgitations of fairy tales or other cultures stories (Kimba the White Lion anyone?).  Yet despite knowing the stories I still flock to a Disney movie with the enthusiasm of Augustus Gloop to the chocolate waterfall.

Disney World really is the happiest place on earth.  How could it not be?  There are rides, shows, your favorite characters, and just a total ambiance of fun and childhood.  Brian and I had made the trip to Disney (World in Florida) every year from 2000 - 2009.  The addition of Linc paused our yearly excursions until he was old enough to enjoy it at least a little.  This coming year we will be going back.  Linc will be 2 and in my mind that is plenty old enough to enjoy the sights and sounds of Disney.  Yes I know there will be those people out there that feel we are crazy to bring him so young - he won't remember it.  Well we don't plan on this being his ONLY trip to Disney, just his starter trip and I say let's bring him while he is still FREE.  With his current love of Cars, his newfound love of Mickey, and his overall enjoyment of amusement parks - I can not WAIT to see all his expressions when we go!

I have never been to Disneyland, Tokyo Disney, Disneyland Paris, or Hong Kong Disneyland.  I have, however, been to Disney World many a time!  Though in recent years, Magic Kingdom has not been a frequent stop for us - it seems we will be changing that now that we have a little one to enjoy the "magic".  Animal Kingdom, also, was never very high on the to-do list while visiting.  Though they do have some exceptional rides (Everest) and the atmosphere is gorgeous.  MGM - oh I'm sorry - Disney's Hollywood Studios was always a favorite of mine from the very first trip we took to Disney when I was 7.  The addition of the Rock N Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, and the Stunt Show have solidified it as a must see whenever a Disney trip is to be made.  MGM (I'm sorry I will never be able to think of it as anything else) is also home to Fantasmic!!!  If you have never caught a Fantasmic show, and you are in Disney I suggest you get yourself over there for priority seating right away! Talk about goose bumps! (Of course it may be because I am a HUGE Maleficent fan and there is a HUGE Maleficent in the show but I would have to say that it is one of the best Disney shows I have ever seen - it kicks Illuminations butt!!)  My absolute favorite of the Disney World parks is Epcot!  Not only do you have all the fun of future world - where I rode my first ever Segway, but the World Showcase is the perfect way to spend a day!  Might I suggest going during the food and wine festival, that way you get to try all the wonderful different foods!!  Also, Epcot is home to Figment - and who doesn't like Figment?


OK I have rambled enough about the joys of Disney World - see I am like a little kid.  I would be great for one of those commercials where a kid is told they are going to Disney and they squeal and scream - just change the kid into a 28 year old female and you have your lead!  I should say, however, that we always make the trip on "off season" times - January!!  That way we really don't encounter too much of a crowd and the heat isn't unbearable.  ALSO we normally break up the Disney adventures with a trip to SeaWorld and WonderWorks (blog about them coming up now that I have mentioned them).

So am I the only one?  What does Disney mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment