Sunday, January 13, 2013

FitBit

If you follow me on facebook or twitter you have recently been bombarded with my FitBit love! It is such a small and simple thing but it has made a big impact in my life.

The road to FitBit started about four months ago. I had just started on my journey and was feverishly downloading calorie and step counting apps. I had used a few calorie counting apps prior but none of them stuck. I decided to give MFP a real try and wanted something to keep track of my daily steps in addition. I downloaded a few pedometer apps for my phone yet quickly realized that was not the way go! They would either drain my battery or be complete JUNK! Now my phone isn't brand new, but without the pedometer program running I have no problem with the battery lasting all day.

So, after many disappointments, I started looking into stand alone pedometers. You would not believe the number of pedometers out there. They all claim to be the best, which do I choose? By this time I was well engrossed in MFP and decided to read some of the message boards to gather some opinions. I was surprised to see an overwhelming number of FitBit users! Don't get me wrong there were WW pedometer users and Fuel Band users but the majority were faithful FitBit users. I took this info and started asking the health conscious friends and dfamily their opinion and found even more FitBit users.


Finally, after all my research I settled on a FitBit One. Three months of contemplating and gathering information had my heart set on a FitBit One and then my head got involved. Why would I spend that amount of money on a STEP COUNTER?!? It seemed frivolous. I really wanted one but I just couldn't justify the expense. Enter Brian in the guise of Santa! The best husband ever supplied the perfect Christmas gift this year!

After some initial problems - the original FitBit I got had some hardware issues so it had to be swapped out for a new one - I am a faithful FitBit user. I am sure that I am still in the novelty period, but I can't wait to check my One at strategic intervals throughout the day.
I use it as a guideline for daily activity. After we put Stinkles to bed I take a gander at my step count and miles traveled for the day, if they are below my goal I need to get my butt in gear! It is actually a great motivational tool. Seeing a low number makes me want to bring it up, and seeing a high number makes me want to beat a previous high! In hindsight, I am kicking myself for waiting as long as I did to get one.

The FitBit itself is small. It comes with a bluetooth dongle, a charging cable, a sleep wrist band, and a carrying clip. It can bluetooth sync with an iphone, ipad or any computer with the required bluetooth technology. It charges completely in about 2 hours and seems to last for about 1.5 - 2 weeks on one charge.

The software for the One keeps track of steps taken,
floors climbed, miles traveled, calories burnt, and your activity level (which is a really cool flower). The One can also track your sleep- I have done this a few times and it seems pretty accurate! FitBit can also sync in with MFP and update my calorie count based on my actual acitvity for each day.

I know it doesn't sound like much but it is great to me! I have decided that the amount of motivation I get from my One was definitely worth the price.

Do any of you have a pedometer or heart rate monitor? If so which ones and why did you choose that one?! I am always curious even though I am thrilled with my One.

No comments:

Post a Comment