Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 143

Annoyed and slightly discouraged are the words for today.  It has been one day shy of two weeks since I last updated on my journey and I have lost all of 1.3 pounds in two weeks... not an accomplishment at all in my opinion.  I am super thrilled for everyone around me that is losing and making it all work, but this week has been nothing but frustration for me.  

I am regularly putting in 4-5 miles of walking/running a day and I have taken up with my yoga and wii fit again.  I think I am in a rut.  I am going to take my Doc's advice and give myself a free day.  Maybe I will have that popcorn I have been craving.  

The numbers as they are:  48.7 pounds down in 143 days.  That is about 0.34 pounds per day, 2.38 pounds per week, and 10.82 pounds per month.  I am not impressed with those numbers.  

That being said - I have to bring my mindset around to realize that I have lost 48 pounds in 4.5 months and that is good.  I need to remember that I am not looking for a quick fix but a lasting change and I am doing it properly.  Time to remind myself of all the positives instead of focusing on the negatives!  I have a lot more energy, I feel GREAT, I get to buy a new wardrobe, I can regularly jog a mile without passing out, I have brought my step count per day up to at least 10,000 in the hopes of leading a healthier lifestyle.  All these are great accomplishments!  Snap out of it Amy and keep plugging!

When I started this journey I decided to share all in the hopes that it would help others like me.  In keeping with that philosophy I have decided to share a tidbit that I normally NEVER would - my actual size.  At the beginning of this journey I was wearing a size 24 (not my proudest moment obviously).  I need to interject that I have NO hopes of being a size 2.  I am just not built that way - as a matter of fact I am pretty sure I would have to really harm myself to make it that small.  I am hoping for a 10/12 when all is said and done.  I have not been a size 10/12 since I was in junior high, and I am not 100% sure it is attainable but I am going to try.  In all my discouragement these past few days I have slowly become aware of something astonishing - I have dropped FOUR sizes.  While trying on clothes yesterday, I fit into a size 16 (snugly).  I didn't purchase the 16 - it was too snug for my liking and just cause I am dropping weight doesn't mean I will abandon wearing clothes a size or so too big.  The 18 fit - with a little breathing room to spare - but I was still astonished that I was not only able to fit into a 16 but pull them up and button them.  In keeping with this trend I grabbed some old dresses last week that I had left at my parents house.  They were from junior and senior year of high school - THEY FIT ME!  I also have to say that I fill them out a HECK of a lot nicer now then I ever did in high school - tip for teenaged Amy: curves are your friend stop fighting them!!  I could not get over the fact that I not only wear, but look respectable in my junior prom and senior supper dresses.  I guess I do still have a reason to be happy/proud.  

So why is it that I am dropping sizes yet my weight isn't going anywhere?  I think I need to reevaluate my relationship with my scale!

2 comments:

  1. I am actually having a little bit of the opposite problem. Since getting back into regular clothes after pregnancy I have not dropped any sizes! I am back to pre-pregnancy weight (actually 2 lbs less) but I am still 2 sizes bigger (Eli is 8 months now). I fell great, even with a lack of sleep with a teething baby but come on pants time to catch up!
    So I feel your pain Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sizes smaller but it is definitely distributed differently! I don't ever expect to LOOK like I did in high school - too straight for my liking anyway :-D. We had kids, our hips just don't want to cooperate with our thoughts of smaller sizes. I am learning to embrace my plentiful curves - heck I am even trying to stand up straight now. No more curling my shoulders in to camouflage my chest - which is yet ANOTHER area of weight gain from children but it is all COMPLETELY worth it!

      Delete