Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Lasagna Soup


Paula Deen makes a soup called Tastes Like Lasagna, I have never had it as it is over 600 calories for ONE CUP of soup - crazy huh?  The Deen Brothers made a lighter version of the soup that I have tasted and it is on that, which I based my recipe.  The very first time I made this soup I overloaded the meat and I was NOT a fan.  I cut it back - decided on either chicken sausage OR ground beef, instead of both.  It made a huge difference.  I am now a big fan of this soup, it will most likely become a staple during the cold winter months.

Lasagna Soup

  • 3 links Chicken Sausage (I used Italian flavored) -OR- 1/2 lb Ground Beef
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 1 Pepper, Chopped
  • 3 cloves Garlic (or equivalent in minced/powder)
  • 4-5 c Water
  • 4 Chicken Bouillon Cubes (or enough to make 4 cups of broth)
  • 1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce
  • 1 can (14 oz) Diced Tomatoes
  • 4 oz Lasagna Noodles, broken
  • 4 T Parmesan Cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 c Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
  • Basil, to taste
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
I sautéd my meat and veggies in a separate pan only to
ensure I would get an OK picture, I normally sauté right
in the pot
  1. Spray a large pot with non-stick spray.  Combine the meat of your choice (if you are using chicken sausage be sure to remove the casing so you will be able to crumble it) with the onion, pepper and garlic.  Sauté until meat is browned and vegetables are cooked through.
  2. Add the tomato sauce, water, bouillon cubes and tomatoes to the pot.  Bring to a boil.
  3. Once you have brought the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the flavors combine.
  4. Add the broken noodles and bring to a boil again.  
  5. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for another 15-20 minutes until the noodles are soft and the soup thickens.
  6. Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses and basil.  
  7. ENJOY!
It is one of the more step intensive soups but I promise that the result is completely worth it.  Serve it up with some crusty bread and you have a wonderful meal!  The recipe, as is, makes 8-9 cups.  You can either have 6 servings of 1 1/4 c each for 240 calories/serving OR you can have 8 servings of 1 cup each for 180 calories/serving.  Either way you choose it is a big difference to the 600+ of the original Paula Deen recipe.

Adding in the yummy cheese!

The finished product!!  
I have made this soup with both sausage and ground beef, with just ground beef, and with just sausage. I prefer it with just sausage.  As a matter of fact that is why I am posting the recipe now, I have decided it is wonderful with the sausage and I will be proud to share!!  If you try it out let me know what configuration you prefer!

No comments:

Post a Comment