Friday, August 31, 2012

Squash Noodles

So in the continuance of my "try something new" attitude, squash noodles was on the list for today.  As I am sure many of you know, I LOVE zucchini so it seemed like that was the best option for my experiment.  I found a lot of different "recipes" for squash noodles - some required you to toss your julienne squash with salt to draw out the water.  As I am not a fan of salted zucchini I decided to omit this step.  After julienning and squeezing the excess moisture from the zucchini, I sautéed it in some olive oil and garlic to warm it up.  Finally I tossed something pesto and some with tomato sauce.  The results were phenomenal!!  The pesto one was a little much for me, though I am thinking if I added a piece of parmesan crusted chicken it wouldn't have been that bad.  Tossed with the tomato sauce, the squash noodles were great!  I wonder if I could get Brian to eat it - probably if I dress it up with the right meat.  The best part about this was that even with the oil, an entire pan (about 1 1/2 cups) of squash noodles only came to about 100 calories!!
I need to get a new julienne cutter
Sautéing the noodles I wanted to eat them right out of the pan!
This picture has one of my new favorite snacks as well - Light and Crisp Wasa Crackers!!!

1 comment:

  1. It took NO TIME AT ALL... I have a julienne peeler (and OXO) and I just peeled the strips right into the bowl. I happen to LOVE zucchini, but you could probably do it with any veggie. I know some people that have done this with potatoes. They really were good!

    ReplyDelete