Friday, March 16, 2012

Showtime, HBO, Epix - OH MY

About a year ago the Shea household took the plunge and signed up for FIOS television service.  I know that for most households this is not a big statement or even occurrence, however this had been a long drawn out and tedious decision for us.  We had been making due with Hulu and other random online video viewings.
At first, having television service was great!  Linc could watch Disney Junior On Demand and Brian and I could browse the hundreds of channels that were now available to us at the click of a button.  A year later I can honestly say that there really is NO NEED for television service in this house.  I will admit to loving the fact that I can watch the Sox games, however is it worth it to pay for the service just to watch a handful of baseball games?  Brian and I use our FIOS television service to watch Mythbusters, How It's Made, and Big Bang Theory - all of which we were watching prior to getting service.  Luckily Linc is not a TV zombie - most of the time he could care less if it is on or not.  On those few occasions he wants to watch something, it is always a movie from the vast collection (currently we are Studio Ghibli obsessed - but that is a whole other blog).

So here is the question - Do you have television service?  Is it worth it to you?  If we weren't in a package deal (you know how they suck you in - phone, internet and television all for one low low price) I firmly believe we would be ditching the service at the first available opportunity.  When will the cable companies learn - go a la carte and you might keep your customers!!

OK I know this has been a boring blog post, but it was one that I started over a year ago when the service was new and I felt the need to finish it - there is nothing worse then drafts sitting there staring you in the face!

1 comment:

  1. switching is not an option for us. the only cable provider in our area of Foster is FIOS. I suppose we could always go satellite, but I DEFINITELY do not want to put a dish on our house/land for the minimal amount we watch. I think we would be fine with local tv IF WE COULD GET IT! we live in the sticks and even the most basic channels we can't get - even with a digital booster antenna!!!! We do get a weird religious channel - which of course in our house goes over as well as a fart in said church! Oh well.. we will keep what we have no now and when the prices hike we will most likely cancel it. with the extent of our video library we are NEVER without something fun to watch if we want to!

    ReplyDelete